University of Florida Campus Historic District
Peabody Hall Plaque , UF. Funded by the Peabody Foundation, Peabody Hall opened in 1913 as the predecessor of the College of Education now located in the Norman Hall complex. This plaque was placed on the wall of the hall in 1913, when it was opened. It was dedicated to George Peabody.
It remained the home of the College of Education for many years and accommodated a psychology lab, the presses of the Florida Alligator and the library collection. Later the College of Architecture and the Departments of History, Political Science, Economics and Sociology used Peabody Hall for faculty offices and classes.
It is named after George Peabody was an influential investment banker, who donated a lot for education. Designed in Collegiate Gothic style by architect William A. Edwards, Peabody was renovated in 1990 and connected to neighboring Criser Hall. Peabody Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places NRIS #79000658
in 1979. It is a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic District, a collection of buildings added to the National Register as a historic district in 1989.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; College campuses; College buildings; Historic buildings; Peabody Hall; Plaque; University of Florida; Gainesville, Fl.; Alachua County