C H Huot Building
Fernandina Beach Historic District
C H Huot Building, Fernandina Beach, Fl. This is a building built in 1882, by Frenchman C. H. Huot. According to museum records, Huot picked the building's Second Street location because he was impressed by the potential of the seaport city. The vacant property he chose was in a city block that had been destroyed by fire in 1876.
Over the years, the Huot building became a popular rendezvous for sailors and housed a tent factory, a chandlery, a furniture store and a restaurant. It has been a steady part of Fernandina Beach's commercial district for more than 100 years. The Huot building got its first major face-lift in 1974 when Gene Oviatt purchased the building, and opened the Steak House there.
Contributing Building - Fernandina Beach Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #73000593 and #87000195
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Commercial buildings-Florida -Fernandina Beach; Business enterprises; Restaurants; C H Huot Building; Historic district; Historic buildings; Nassua County