Savannah Historic District
Kress Building, Savannah, GA
The Kress operated as a popular five and dime store from 1923 through 1997. It was started by Samuel H Kress as the S H Kress Company. The building still remains a very well known landmark to the local population.
In 1998, this building was many of the abandoned department store buildings. It was renovated and doubled in size and is home to the Gap, a basement restaurant and residential apartments. Contributing Building - Savannah Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NHLS #66000277
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Commercial buildings-Georgia-Savannah; Historic buildings; Historic district; Kress Building; S H Kress Company; Department Store; Chatham County (Ga.)