Federal Building / U.S. Courthouse
Federal Building/ U.S. Courthouse, Gainesville, GA.
The Federal Building and Courthouse in Gainesville, Georgia is significant because it is architecturally distinctive as one of the town's oldest Classical Revival buildings; and it remains a symbol of the Federal presence in Gainesville. It was constructed of white marble in 1909-1910.
The completed Federal Building was occupied in 1936 by the U.S. Postal Service and the Courts. The Post Office relocated in 1967 and the building retained the Federal Courts and related offices. Throughout its history the Federal Building and Courthouse has served as a symbol of the Federal presence in Gainesville, Georgia.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Government buildings-Georgia-Gainesville; Federal building/ U.S. Courthouse; Classical rivival architecture; White marble; ,U S Postal Service; Federal courts; Hall County (Ga.); Gainesville (Ga.)