Preview

image preview

Creation Date

3-30-2010

Building Name

Union Bank;Freedman's Savings and Trust Company;Southeastern Regional Black Archives, Research Center and Museum;Capitol Complex Extension Branch of the Southeastern Regional Black Archives

Description

Historical marker for the former Union Bank located in Tallahassee, Florida. Built in 1841 to serve the plantation owners, it closed in 1843 due to a variety of factors. After the Civil War, it reopened as Freedman's Savings and Trust Company. The building has also functioned as a church, beauty shop, locksmith, dance studio, coffee shop, and art studio. The building is currently home to Southeastern Regional Black Archives, Research Center and Museum. It is also known as the Capitol Complex Extension Branch of the Southeastern Regional Black Archives. It is on the National Register of Historic Places (NRIS #71000242).

Latitude, Longitude

30.43807, -84.279571

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Historical markers--Florida--Tallahassee; Bank buildings--Florida--Tallahassee; College museums--Florida--Tallahassee; Tallahassee (Fla.); Financial insitutions

Share

Image Location

 
COinS