Ben Hill County Marker, Fitzgerald, GA.
This marker is located on the front of the Ben Hill Courthouse in Fitzgerald, Georgia. It was placed by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1956 .
It reads as follows :
" Ben Hill County, created by Act of July 31, 1906 from Irwin and Wilcox Counties, was named for Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882), "one of America´s greatest orators." A Staunch supporter of the administration in the Confederate Senate, after the War Between the States he was an influential member of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. First officers of Ben Hill County, commissioned Jan. 5, 1907, were: C.M.Wise, Ordinary; D.W.M. Whitley, Clerk Superior Cout; W.H. Fountain, Sheriff; E. Gibbs, Tax Receiver; W.L. Smith, Tax Collector, J.H. Goodman, Treasurer; Oscar Barron, Surveyor; William McCormick, Coroner. "
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Ben Hill County Marker; Historical marker; Benjamin Harvey Hill,Ben Hill Courthouse; Ben Hill County (Ga.); Fitzgerald (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Fitzgerald.