Preview

image preview

Creation Date

3-18-2010

Building Name

Brooks County Courthouse

Description

Brooks County (GA) Marker, Quitman, GA

This historical marker is located outside the Brooks County Courthouse in Quitman, Georgia. It was placed by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1954.

It reads as :

" This county created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 11, 1858, is named for Preston Smith Brooks, zealous defender of States Rights. Born in S.C. Aug. 6, 1819, Brooks served in the Mexican War & in Congress. He died June 27, 1857. The first County Officers included: Ordinary Angus Morrison, Sheriff Enoch Hall Pike, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts D.W. McRae. Tax Collector George Alderman, Tax Receiver John Delk, Treasurer William F. Speight, Surveyor Jeremiah Wilson, Coroner John T. Devane, State Senator Shadrack Griffin and Representative John T. Edmonson. "

Latitude, Longitude

30.78513333, -83.55998333

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Brooks County Marker; Brooks County Courthouse; Preston Smith Brooks; Historical marker; Brooks County (Ga.); Quitman (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Quitman.

Share

Image Location

 
COinS