Bryan County Marker, Pembroke, GA.
This marker is located outside the Bryan County Courthouse in Pembroke, Georgia. This was placed by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1954.
It reads as follows :
" This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 19, 1793, is named for Jonathan Bryan, Revolutionary patriot and member of the Executive Council in 1777. The ‘lost town´ of Hardwick on the Ogeechee River was the first temporary County Site. Laid out in 1755, it was named for Lord Hardwick, Lord Chancellor of England, a relative of the then Gov. Reynolds. Two Royal Governors recommended that it be the Capital of Georgia. An Act of 1797 designated a new County Site at Cross Roads, 2 miles from Ogeechee Bridge. The Site was later moved to Clyde and then Pembroke. "
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Bryan County Marker; Jonathan Bryan; Bryan County Courthouse; Bryan County (Ga.); Pembroke (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Pembroke.