Preview

image preview

Creation Date

9-8-2008

Building Name

St. Simons Island Lighthouse

Description

The St. Simons Lighthouse is located on the southern tip of Saint Simons Island, Georgia. The current brick and iron tower was built in 1872. The previous 1810 tabby tower and keeper's dwelling were destroyed during the Civil War. The Victorian duplex was also completed in 1872. In 1972, the dwelling was leased to Glynn County as a museum and visitors center. The light was automated in 1950. The tower was opened to the public in 1984 and transferred to the Coastal Georgia Historical Society in 2004. It is on the National Register of Historical Places (NRIS #72000386).

Latitude, Longitude

31.133056,-81.391667

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Lighthouses--Georgia--Saint Simons Island; Saint Simons Island (Ga.); Lighthouses

Share

Image Location

 
COinS