Gragg Lumber Company
Gragg Lumber Company Marker (Obverse), Amsterdam, GA.
This marker is located on Hwy US 27 North, SE of Bainbridge.
The text on the marker reads as : (Side 1)
" In 1926, brothers John, Earl, Wayne and Gilbert Gragg came from North Carolina to establish a sawmill six tenths of a mile north of here on the east side of Amsterdam Road. As the Gragg Lumber Co., they leased cutting rights on 16,000 acres owned by American Sumatra Tobacco Company. They harvested timber with portable sawmills and hauled lumber to their dry kiln and plane mill for five years. They built their “dream mill”, incorporating modern band saws, in 1930. Their company became one of the largest hardwood lumber producers in the state of Georgia, employing about 200 people at peak production. The timber depleted, the mill closed in 1944." (continued on other side)
Sponsored by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and The Decatur County Historical Society 2007
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Gragg Lumber Company Marker; Gragg Lumber Company; Gilbert Gragg; Hardwood producers; Decatur County (Ga.); Amsterdam (Ga.); Historical marker --- Goergia --- Amsterdam.