Preview

image preview

Creation Date

7-7-2012

Building Name

Home of Governor E.D. Rivers

Description

Home of Governor E.D. Rivers Marker, Lakeland, GA.

This is located outside the home of E. D. Rivers, who was governor of Georgia from 1937 to 1941.

The marker reads as :

" Eurith Dickinson Rivers was governor of Georgia from 1937 to 1941. He actively supported President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal Program. Rivers’ innovative leadership produce Georgia’s first Department of Public Welfare, free school books, the State Highway Patrol, and modernization of the state highway system. Born in Arkansas, Rivers married Lucile Lashley in 1914 and moved with his family to Milltown (later Lakeland) in 1920 to practice law. He is buried in Lakeland. Built in 1940 on the shores of Banks lake, the ranch style house, designed by Frank Byrd, was relocated to this site in the early 1980s."

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, LILA, Inc., Lanier County Lions Club, Farmers and Merchants Bank, and Lakeland-Lanier Chamber of Commerce

Latitude, Longitude

31.03776389, -83.09124722

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Home of Governor E.D. Rivers Marker; Home of Governor E.D. Rivers; Governor E.D. Rivers; Lucile Lashley; Milltown (later Lakeland); Lanier County (Ga.); Lakeland (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Lakeland.

Share

Image Location

 
COinS