St Benedict Catholic School
Lincolnville Historic District
St Benedict Catholic School 1, St Augustine FL
St. Benedict the Moor School, 86 M. L. King Avenue, stands at the very center of Lincolnville as the oldest surviving brick school building in the city.
The school was built in 1898, a saint’s gift to St. Augustine. Money for its construction was provided by Mother Katherine Drexel (1858-1955), a wealthy Philadelphia heiress who was made a saint by Pope John Paul II in 2000.
St. Benedict was one of the first schools for blacks in Florida, serving from 90 to 110 students. In the middle of the 1960s the building ended its role as an educational facility and was essentially abandoned for about 20 years.
St. Benedict School was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 as a contributing structure to the Lincolnville National Register Historic District. St. Benedict the Moor School Restoration Committee is attempting to save and rehabilitate the building.
Contributing Building - Lincolnville Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #91000979
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; St Benedict Catholic School; Catholic School; Black school; Abandoned; Historic district; St Johns County (Fl.); St Augustine; Schools --- Florida --- St Augustine.