St Augustine Town Plan Historic District
Tovar House Marker , St Augustine, FL
The text on the marker reads as:
" The infantryman Jose Tovar lived on this corner in 1763. The original site and size of his house remained unchanged during the British period, when John Johnson, a Scottish merchant lived here. After the Spanish returned in 1784, Jose Coruna, a Canary Islander with his family, and Tomas Caraballo, an assistant surgeon, occupied the house. Geronimo Alvarez, who lived next door in the Gonzalez-Alvarez House, purchased the property in 1791. It remained in his family until 1871. A later occupant was Civil War General Martin D. Hardin, USA. The Tovar House has been owned by the St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918."
Contributing Building - St Augustine Town Plan Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #70000847.
Sponsored or placed by: BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS OF ST. JOHNS COUNTY IN COOPERATION WITH THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE