St Teresa Catholic Church
St Teresa Catholic Marker Albany GA
St. Teresa Church is located in downtown Albany, Georgia on Residence Ave. It is the oldest church building in Albany, and the oldest Catholic Church still in use in Georgia.
Construction on the church began in 1859, on land that was given by Col. Nelson Tift, the founder of Albany. The bricks that make up the building were handmade by slaves on a plantation near Newton, Georgia. Due to the Civil War, construction of the church was halted before the interior was completed. It was then used as a hospital for wounded Confederate Soldiers. After the war, the building was completed and dedicated under the patronage of St. Teresa of Avila on November 19, 1882 by William ll. Gross, D.D., who was the Bishop of Savannah at the time. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; St Teresa Catholic Marker; St Teresa Catholic Church; Col. Nelson Tift; Hospital; Confederate soldiers; Historical marker --- Georgia --- Albany -- Dougherty County.