Sanford State Farmer's Market
Sanford State Farmers' Market Marker (Reverse), Sanford, FL.
The text reads as : (Reverse)
" In time, the market complex grew to as many as ten units, including its own filling station, restaurant, vegetable cooling room, citrus packing house, barber shop, telegraph agency, and a 35 ton weighing station (scales). There were 4 to 5 acres of paved parking to accommodate the large volume of trucks daily. Truckers buying gas at the filling station had the use of the free showers with soap and towels.
On April 4, 1957, the original vegetable market building, Unit 1, was destroyed by fire. It was replaced by a more fireproof concrete structure that is the center of today's market operation.
For almost 70 years this market was primarily a wholesale market, with only occasional attempts at providing retail sales. In 2003, a modern retail farmers' facility was added to provide a retail outlet for the farmers and retail service providing fresh produce to the public. "
Erected by the Seminole County Historical Commission
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Sanford State Farmers' Market Marker; Sanford State Farmers' Market; Filling station; Restaurant; Vegetable cooling room; Barber shop; Vegetable market; Seminole County (Fl.); Historical marker ---- Florida --- Sanford.