Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church
Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker, Coffee County, GA.
This marker is located at church, 2212 Sand Hill Church Rd, Douglas. It is Birthplace of the Smyrna Baptist Association .
The text reads as :
" This church was organized in 1857. The first sanctuary, made of logs, was situated near the still-present old well. A number of Coffee County´s prominent citizens were early members of the church and are buried within the cemetery, including William Dent, Daniel Gaskins, Sr., Franklin Ward and Thomas H. Dent. In 1875, the church became the founding location of the Smyrna Baptist Association, currently comprised of thirty-nine churches. The existing sanctuary was constructed c.1905. The Sunday School rooms were moved on site and attached to the sanctuary in 1954."
Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker; Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church; Smyrna Baptist Association; Coffee County (Ga.); Historical marker --- Georgia--- Douglas.