Sanchez Powder House Site
Powder House Lot marker, St Augustine, Fl.
The Sanchez Powder House Site is also known as the Powder House Lot and was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Nothing remains at the site of the former Sanchez Powder House except an historical marker titled "The Powder House Lot".
The text on the marker reads as :
" In 1797-1800, the Spanish built on this site a coquina structure with tile roof and masonry fence, to store 100,000 pounds of gunpowder. A similar structure was also built to serve as guard post. Each redoubt in St. Augustine's defenses was supplied from this magazine. After acquiring Florida in 1821, the United States continued using the powder house until 1860. The structures were then neglected, and local citizens used the stone for construction and repair. Congress transferred this lot to the city in 1917. Years later the Federal Government recovered the lot and in 1956 deeded the 14.99 acres to St. Johns County."
Sponsored or placed by: ST. JOHNS COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Powder House Lot Marker; Powder House Lot; Sanchez Powder House Site; Gunpowder storage; St Johns County (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- St Augustine.