Elder's Mill Covered Bridge
Elder's Mill Covered Bridge Marker, GA.
This marker is located on Elder's Mill Rd south of Watkinsville. Georgia. It was erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration.
The text on the marker reads as :
" Built in 1897 by Nathaniel Richardson, this 99-foot-long bridge originally carried the Watkinsville-Athens Road over Calls Creek. It was moved here to Rose Creek in 1924 and the road was relocated to its present site. The nearby c. 1900 grist mill ceased operations in 1941. Constructed in the Town lattice design, the bridge’s web of planks crisscrossing at 45- to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection. It is one of the few covered bridges in Georgia continuing to carry traffic without underlying steel beams."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Elder's Mill Covered Bridge Marker; Elder's Mill Covered Bridge; Nathaniel Richardson; Town lattice design; Historical marker; Oconee County (Ga); Rose Creek (Ga); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Rose Creek.