Old Bay State Theatre
Eustis Commercial Historic District
Old Bay State Theatre Eustis FL
The State Theater opened as a vaudeville house in 1922, seating 518. It was located on Bay Street between E. Orange Avenue and E. Clifford Avenue. Later, the State Theater turned to movies and by the 1940’s, was operated by a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures.
By the 1970’s, its days as a movie house had ended, and in 1975, the long-vacant theater was leased by the Bay Street Players, who renovated and repaired the State Theater for legitimate and musical theater. The Bay Street Players bought the theater 1977, the same year the company began its youth theater program.
In 1985, the Bay Street Players embarked on a nearly $200,000 renovation/restoration project of the State Theater, which was done almost all by volunteers. The Bay Street Players continue to operate at the State Theater, presenting live theater to the people of Eustis and central Florida, now for more than 30 seasons.
Contributing Building - Eustis Commercial Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #05000654
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Old Bay State Theatre; Bay Street Players; Live theater; Historic district; Lake County (Fl.); Theaters --- Florida --- Eustis --- Lake County.