White County Marker, Cleveland GA
This marker is located At the old court house in Cleveland GA,
The text on the marker reads as :
" White County, created by Act of Dec. 22, 1857, was cut off from Habersham and Lumpkin Counties. Wm. H. Shelton, Repr. from Habersham at the session tried twice to have the county formed but failed. Repr. David T. White of Newton Co. backed the bill and it passed. In gratitude, Repr. Shelton had the county named for Repr. White. First county officers were: Isaac Bowen, Sheriff; Wm. L. Sumpter, Clk. Sup. Ct.; Wm. R. Kimsey, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Willis A. England, Cor.; Wm. Burke, Tax Rec.; Champion Ferguson, Tax Col.; Vincent F. Sears, Surveyor; Wilkes T. Leonard, Ord.; J. Cicero Bell, Treasurer. "
Georgia Historical Commission 1955
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; White County Marker; White County (Ga.); David T. White; Historical marker --- Georgia -- Cleveland.