Town of Greenville Marker , Greenville FL.
This marker is located in front of the Baptist Church, in Madison County ,Fl.
The text reads as :
Frontier Sandy Ford
" Begun as Sandy Ford, 1850, Samuel Williams was the first postmaster in 1854. Called Station 5 on the Pensacola-Georgia R.R., the name Greenville, for Greenville, S.C., came in the 1860's. Elijah Hays helped its expansion after 1876. Incorporated in 1907, W.D. Griffin was the first mayor. An orange producing center prior to 1895, its chief supports now are timber, cattle, and flue-cured tobacco."
Sponsors: The Town Council of Greenville in Cooperation with Department of State, Bureau of Historic Sites and Properties
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Town of Greenville Marker; Town of Greenville; Sandy Ford; W.D. Griffin; Madison County (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- Greenville.