The Village The Pits and The Dumps Marker (Reverse) Amsterdam GA
Continued from other side--- (Side 2)...
" The rail engine made a quaint musical sound. "The Dumps" overburden piles as high as 100 ft., stood sentinel over the excavations, rambling open "pits" 150 ft. wide and 100 ft. deep and 2 1/2 miles long. Sadly, in 1955, all houses were removed to access the last profitable vein of valuable clay in this area and mining was moved to other locations. Fullers earth has been used for ages to filter impurities from oil and in fulling a process to remove oil in wool."
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Decatur Co. Historical & Genealogical Society, 2012.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; The Village The Pits and The Dumps Marker; The Dumps; Open Pits; Decatur County (Ga); Historical marker --- Georgia --- Amsterdam.