St Johns County Marker , (Ponte Vedra), Fl.
This is a memorial marker for St Johns County.
The text on the marker reads as : " On July 21, 1821 Major General Andrew Jackson, Florida's first territorial Governor, established St. Johns County, with St. Augustine as the county seat. It contained all Florida east of the Suwannee River, approximately 39,400 square miles with over 1,100 miles of coastline. Since 1821, more than 2/3 of Florida's present 67 counties have been carved from St. Johns ' original boundaries, reducing it to 600 square miles of land area."
Sponsored by: ST. JOHNS COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; St Johns County Marker; St Johns County; Major General Andrew Jackson; St Augustine - county seat; Historical marker --- Florida --- St Augustine.