Spanish Dragoon Barracks
Spanish Dragoon Barracks Marker, St Augustine FL
The text on the marker reads as :
" A first Spanish period two-story coquina, shingle roofed structure, 33´ x 19´, erected on the east side of this lot became the barracks for the Spanish dragoons in 1792. Each story had two rooms. One upper room contained a rack for 20 muskets and 40 pistols, another rack for saddles and bridles, a table and two benches. A detached kitchen, coquina curbed well, stable and privy were located adjacent to the barracks. In the yard, a cultivated vegetable garden, orange, lemon and fig trees flourished. By 1822 the barracks had deteriorated and was razed."
Sponsors: Sponsored by The St. Johns County Historical Commission and the Security Federal Savings & Loan Association in cooperation with Department of State
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Spanish Dragoon Barracks Marker; Barracks; Spanish Dragoons; St Johns County (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- St Augustine.