Schley County Marker ,Ellaville GA
This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series. It is located outside the courthouse in Ellaville in Schley County, Georgia.
The marker reads as :
" This county, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 22, 1857, is named for William Schley, member of Congress 1833-35 and Governor 1835-37. Ellaville is named for Ella Burton, daughter of Robert Burton, who sold the land for the town site. Nearby Pond Town was settled in 1812.
First county officers were: Ordinary Wm. J. May, Clerk Hiram L. French, Sheriff A.J. Womach, Tax Receiver Henry Scarborough, Tax Collect Henry D. Holt, Coroner Ben T. Smith, Representative Seaborn Hixon, State Senator Charles Edwards, Inferior Court Judges Johnson Springer, Jas. Murray, Robt. Burton, G.W. Johnson, R.W. Wilkinson. "
Placed By Georgia Historical Commission.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Schley County Marker; Schley County; William Schley; Ella Burton; Historical marker --- Georgia --- Ellaville.