Hastings Potato Capital Marker , Hastings, Fl.
This marker is located in Hastings a town and agricultural center in St Johns County Florida.
The text on the marker reads as :
" In 1890 Thomas Horace Hastings: a cousin of Henry Flagler, founded the settlement of Hastings. He built the first house and constructed greenhouses to raise early winter vegetables for Flagler's hotels. Hastings Florida post office was established in 1891. The first school was taught by Mr. Charles Dupont in 1897. Hastings received its town charter in 1909. With the development and irrigation of the clay subsoil land in this area, a new era in Florida agriculture began in the early 1920's. Pioneers in this effort were Messrs. U.J. White, W.H. Erwin. Frank Nix, and John T. Dismukes. Modern machinery, fertilization, and experiment brought potato growing into the realm of scientific farming. Early select potatoes are shipped from here every spring to markets all over the United States. "
Sponsored or placed by: St Johns Historical Commission.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Hastings Potato Capital Marker; Hastings - Potato Capital; Thomas Horace Hastings; Potato farming; St Johns County (Fl.); Historical markers --- Florida --- Hastings.