Pecan Trees Marker, St Marys, GA.
This marker is located near Weed Street in St Marys, Georgia., in Camden County.
The text on the marker reads as :
" Grown from pecan nuts found floating at sea by Captain Samuel F. Flood and planted by his wife, nee Rebecca Grovenstine on Block 47. The remainder of these nuts were planted by St. Joseph Sebastian Arnow in the north half of Block 26.
These first plantings produced large and heavy-bearing trees, as did their nuts and shoots in turn. Taken from St. Marys to distant points throughout southeastern states, they became famous before the Texas pecans were generally known."
Georgia Historical Commission 1953
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Pecan Trees Marker; Captain Samuel F.Flood; Camden County (Ga); St Marys (Ga); Historical markers --- Georgia --- St Marys.