Old Post Road Marker, Elberton, GA.
This marker is at the location of the Old Post Road and is one of three historical markers at the Elbert Co courthouse in Elberton, Georgia.
The text on the marker reads as :
" This road is older than Elberton. Mail was carried over it by post riders before Falling Creek Church was build in 1788 and during Washington’s Administration. Later a stage coach ran between Elberton and Lexington three times a week stopping at the old Globe Hotel which stood on the site of the present court house in Elberton. Stocks for local merchants were brought over this road until 1878 when the first railroad came to Elberton. With the coming of Rural Free Delivery Mr.Giles made the first delivery in Elbert County over this road on horseback."
The marker, placed in 1959 by the Georgia Historical Commission.
Taylor; George Lansing; Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Old Post Road Marker; Old Post Road; Post riders; Stage coach; Horseback; Elbert County (Ga.); Elberton (Ga.); Historical marker --- Georgia --- Elberton.