Needwood Baptist Church, Needwood School
Needwood Baptist Church Marker, New Hope, GA.
The inscription on the Historical Marker outside the church:
" Needwood Baptist Church was organized in 1866 on nearby Broadfield Plantation as Broadfield Baptist Church of the Zion Baptist Association. This structure, built in the 1870s, was redesigned in 1885 when the church moved its congregation here. Its formation and history are representative of religious development in the context of plantation rice culture. The nearby one-room Needwood School provided elementary education for this community from 1907 until desegregation in the 1960s. Both structures are examples of early African-American vernacular architecture."
Portions of this church were originally built by freed slaves on the Broadfield Rice Plantation, where it was initially the Broadfield Baptist Church, in the late 1870s, It is now considered one of the better examples of African-American vernacular church architecture remaining in Georgia.
Erected by The Georgia Historical society and the Pilot Club of Brunswick, Inc.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Needwood Baptist Church Marker; Needwood Baptist Church; Needwood School; Broadfield Plantation; Glynn County (Ga.); New Hope (Ga.); Historical marker --- Georgia ---- New Hope.