Philadelphia Presbyterian Church
Old Philadelphia Presbyterian church historical marker located in Quincy, Florida. The original structure was a log meeting house built in 1828 until the present structure was built in 1859. The building was in use until 1912.
Marker reads: Old Philadelphia Presbyterian Church
Presbyterians came to this area from Georgia and the Carolinas as early as 1822. These worshippers built Philadelphia, a log meeting house, in 1828. It was served by itinerant ministers until 1832, when the Reverend Leander Kerr arrived. The log structure was replaced in 1859 by the present building, Gadsden County's oldest remaining meeting house. Philadelphia served until 1912 as a house of worship, a place of education, and a center of community life. Many Presbyterian churches in Florida and southern Georgia trace their origins to Philadelphia.
Sponsored by Old Philadelphia Endowment Association in cooperation with department of state
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Historical markers--Florida--Quincy; Presbyterian church buildings--Florida--Quincy; Quincy (Fla.); Churches/Synagogues