Masonic Temple Plaque, Milledgeville GA
This marker was placed by the Educational and Historical Commission Grand Lodge of Georgia, F. & A. M. 1980. The Masonic Lodge Building at the corner of North Wayne and East Hancock Streets in Milledgeville, Ga.
Inscribed on the plaque is as follows :
" This is the oldest Masonic building in Georgia with continuous usage since its dedication on June 24, 1834. Funded through a state authorized lottery and constructed by John Marlow (also one of the architects with Samuel Tucker and James Doyle), this Georgian style building was among the more elegant structures in antebellum Georgia. it is also one of the earlier Masonry structures west of the Oconee River.
The Grand Lodge of Georgia met here annually from December 1834 through the 1845 session when its site was moved to Macon. During reconstruction the building housed the office of the Freedman’s bureau and its ground floor was headquarters of the local military garrison.
This building was built for the Masonic use of benevolent lodge number 3, F. & A. M.; Temple chapter number 6, R. A. M and Georgia council number 4, R. & S. M."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Masonic Temple Plaque; Masonic Temple; Oldest masonic lodge; Plaque; Grand Lodge of Georgia; Baldwin County (Ga.); Clubs/organizations --- Plaques --- Georgia --- Milledgeville.