Andrew College Marker
Andrew College Marker, Cuthbert GA
This historic marker is located on US 82 W in Cuthbert at the campus opposite Andrew Street. It was installed by the Georgia Historical Commission.
The marker reads as follows :
" Cuthbert is the site of Andrew College, founded here January 1854, named in honor of Bishop James O. Andrew whose refusal to free his Wife´s slaves separated the Northern and Southern Methodist Episcopal Churches (1844). First President - Augustus Alden, of Yale, a pioneer in Georgia for higher education.
The second college chartered to confer graduate degrees upon women. Served as a Confederate Hospital 1863-65.
The first women´s college in the South to include Physical Education in its curriculum (1867)
Today, a fully accredited Junior College, it has upheld throughout a century the highest principles of education, Christian womanhood."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Andrew College Marker; Andrew College; Historic marker; Bishop James O. Andrew; Juniour College; Physical education; College campuses --- Markers --- Georgia --- Cuthbert.