ACL Passenger Depot , High Springs
High Springs Historic District
ACL Passenger Depot , High Springs FL
This old passenger depot, built c. 1910, is all that remains of the vast railroad complex located southwest of downtown that made High Springs a bustling railroad center for nearly 50 years. Rail yards, workshops, and a roundhouse serviced hundreds of steam engines and cars sent to High Springs to be cleaned and repaired.
The importance of High Springs as a rail center declined as diesel engines replaced the old steam locomotives after World War II. Gradually, all of the railroad buildings disappeared, except the depot which was moved to this site and renovated as a railroad museum in 1994 .
Contributing Building - High Springs Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #91001540
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; ACL Passenger Depot; ACL (Atlantic Coast Line); Passenger depot; Historic district; Railroad museum; Alachua County (Fl.); Transportation --- Florida --- High Springs.