The marker reads: “PROVIDENCE METHODIST CHURCH & SCHOOLHOUSE -- In 1828, Rev. John Wesley Norton left his native South Carolina with his family and a wagon train of followers, crossed into the Creek Indian Nation and just into the edge of what was then Pike County, settling near the present town of Clayton, Alabama. He was then in the bounds of, or in the proximity to, the Chattahoochee Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was quite an acquisition to the young and struggling circuit in that newly settled section on the borders of the Indian tribes. (Continued on next side) Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and The Norton Family Association 1997"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Batesville (Ala.); Historical markers; Methodist church buildings; Churches and synagogues