The marker reads: "LEE COUNTY COURTHOUSE -- Lee County was created from portions of Russell, Macon, Chambers and Tallapoosa by act of the Alabama Legislature, approved December 5, 1866. The County’s first election was held January 21, 1867.
An early courthouse stood across the street from the present structure. In 1896, when W. C. Robinson was Probate Judge, erection of today’s courthouse got underway: low bid. $23,000; architect’s fee, $1,000; total bond issue, including jail, $35,000. Last bonds paid off in late 1930’s. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, July 23,1973. ERECTED BY HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION 1978 J.J. JAXON CO. -EUFAULA, AL.". Top of the sign: Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem.
32 deg 38' 45.25", 85 deg 22' 44.80"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Opelika (Ala.); Courthouses – Alabama – Lee County; Historic markers -- Alabama -- Lee Count; Historic Chattahoochee Commission; Images