The text on the marker reads: "FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF EUFAULA -- Irwinton Baptist Church was constituted on June 24, 1837. The name of the town changed to Eufaula in 1843, and consequently the name of the church became Eufaula Baptist Church. The church assumed its third name in 1869 when it was changed to First Baptist Church of Eufaula. The church met temporarily in the male academy at the Northwest corner of Union and Livingston Streets. In 1841 a new church building was erected at the Northwest corner of Union and Forsyth Streets. The second church was built at this location and was dedicated on November 5, 1871. The building was destroyed by fire caused by lightning on August 12, 1907 and rebuilt using the same exterior walls without the steeple. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCHOF EUFAULA 2001". Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem at the top of the sign.
31 deg 53' 29.83", 85 deg 8' 37.43"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Eufaula (Ala.); Historical markers -- Alabama -- Barbour County; Churches and synagogues; First Baptist Church -- Alabama -- Barbour County; Irwinton Baptist Church (Eufaula, Ala.); Historic Chattahoochee Commission