The marker reads: "COLUMBIA BAPTIST CHURCH -- This church was constituted in 1835 following the withdrawal of six people from Omussee Baptist Church in a dispute over the role of missions. The first pastor Edmund Talbot, who served the Church until 1853, donated that land and had the church built at his own expense. It was situated at the present site of the Willis J. Bell grave in Columbia Cemetery. In 1859 a new building was constructed by Nathaniel Ferris Oakley just to the south of the original church. This was replaced by a red brick auditorium which was erected in 1885. ERECTED BY THE COLUMBIA BAPTIST CHURCH AND THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION 1990". Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem at the top of the sign.
31 deg 17' 39.10", 85 deg 6' 40.30"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Historical markers --- Alabama --- Houston County; Columbia (Ala.); Churches and synagogues