The marker reads: "FORT PLACE-ST. JOSEPH & IOLA RAILROAD Fort Place, forerunner of Wewahitchka, located one-quarter mile East was constructed in the early 1830's as a refuge from hostile Indians. It consisted of a hewn log blockhouse equipped with portholes for firearms, and was enclosed within a two acre stockade. No remains of Fort Place are visible today. The St. Joseph, and Iola Railroad, completed in 1839 was the third railroad to use steam locomotives in Florida, and was the longest in Territorial Florida. F-107 FLORIDA BOARD OF PARKS AND HISTORIC MEMORIALS IN COOPERATION WITH GULF COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1963" Top of the sign: Image of the Great Seal of the State of Florida – In God We Trust
30 deg 3' 22.14", 85 deg 11' 20.38"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Fort Place (Wewahitchka, Fla.); Wewahitchka (Fla.); Historic markers – Florida – Gulf County; Forts --- Florida – Fort Place; Railroads – Florida – St. Joseph & Iola Railroad; Territorial Florida