The marker reads: "BETHEL PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH Bethel Primitive Baptist Church, the second Baptist Church to be organized in the area of old Lowndes County, was constituted September 2, 1826. The organizing Presbytery were: Elders Benjamin Manning. Matthew Albritton and Henry Melton, with Deacon William A. Knight. Charter members of Bethel Church were: Elder Melus Thigpen and his wife, Sarah; Archibald Strickland and his wife, Luander; Henry C. Tucker and his wife, Sarah. Elder Thigpen served as supply pastor until 1828, when the Rev. Matthew Albritton was called to the charge of Bethel Church. 014-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
30 deg 58' 30.39", 83 deg 37' 53.87"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Brooks County (Ga.); Baptist Churches primitive and apostolic; Historic markers; Churches and synagogues