The marker reads: "BENEVOLENCE BAPTIST CHURCH This church, constituted May 16, 1840, succeeded Walnut Grove, NW of here, (called Mt. Paran when organized, Nov. 1831, with 9 members). In 1840, Missionary Baptists, feeling a need for a separate church, met and accepted 5 acres of land for Church and Cemetery "with no charges ever" from Thomas Coram, first settler at this site. For this generosity, Abner Ward suggested the name Benevolence for church and community. Members hauled lumber from Dawson and built the first church building, dedicated May 17, 1842, with Rev. James Matthews, Pastor, and A.M. Albritton, Clerk. First deacons were James Sherman and John Winfrey. Other early clerks were David Holman, Abner Ward, E. H. Keese and G. W. King. 120-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
31 deg 52' 54.10", 84 deg 44' 5.15"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Historical markers; Baptist church buildings; Churches and synagogues; Baptist church buildings; Benevolence (Ga.); Randolph County (Ga.); Images