The marker reads: "OLD DAVIE SCHOOL This historic structure was the first permanent school in the Everglades and is now Broward County’s oldest existing school building. The Davie School was designed in 1917 by August Geiger (born 1888), who came to Miami in 1905 from New Haven. Connecticut and later became one of South Florida’s most well known early architects. The school opened its doors in 1918 to 90 students and was in continuous use as a school until 1980. The masonry vernacular, concrete structure is topped by a shallow hip roof behind a parapet. From the day it opened, the Davie school served as the area’s source of education as well as a center for community gatherings. In 1988 the Davie School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today, the Old Davie School Historical Museum is a historic, cultural, social and artistic resource dedicated to providing information and learning opportunities for students and the community at large. The building represents an irreplaceable link with history of early 20th century pioneering, settlement and education in Western Broward County. F-534 A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE SPONSORED BY THE TOWN OF DAVIE AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE 2004" Top of sign: Florida Heritage emblem National register of Historic Places #88000223
26 deg 3' 52.71", 80 deg 14' 7.46"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Davie (Fla.); Historic markers – Florida – Broward County; Schools – Florida – Davie – Broward County; Everglades (Fla.); Rural schools – Florida; Florida Heritage Landmark