Preview

image preview

Creation Date

6-24-2016

Description

The marker reads: "TALLAHASSEE-ST. MARKS RAILROAD -- The Tallahassee to St. Marks railroad began operations in 1837. It was owned by the Tallahassee Rail Road Company, incorporated in 1834. The road was single track, twenty-three miles long, and had mule drawn cars. In 1839 a steam locomotive was added and the line extended to Port Leon. With a seaport terminus to serve a rich agricultural hinterland, the railroad did a large volume of business in cotton during the antebellum period. F-20 FLORIDA BOARD OF PARKS AND HISTORIC MEMORIALS 1961" Top of the sign: Image of the Great Seal of the State of Florida – In God We Trust

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Historic markers – Florida –Leon County; Leon County (Fla.); Railroads – Florida – Tallahassee - St. Marks Railroad; Tallahassee rail Road Company

Share

 
COinS