The marker reads: "ZION EPISCOPAL CHURCH ERECTED 1848 The edifice has been spared modernization and is a perfect replica of a typical English rural parish church of the Tudor-Gothic period. The altar, communion rail, lectern-pulpit, and prayer desk are handmade of native walnut. The entire structure is put together with wooden pegs and handmade iron nails. The pipe organ, installed in 1850, and in continuous use since that time, is a Pilcher and still is operated by hand pump. The choir loft at the east end of the structure opposite the sanctuary, above the narthex, is flanked on each side by a gallery, where slaves worshipped prior to the conflict which many believed temporarily destroyed Southern culture. Zion Church had its incipience from the missionary zeal of the Rev. Richard Johnson and the financial assistance of South Carolina rice planters. 130-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
32 deg 40' 30.22", 84 deg 32' 23.72"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Talbotton (Ga.); Talbot County (Ga.); Zion Episcopal churches; Episcopal church buildings; Churches and synagogues; Historic markers