The marker reads: "NOTED INDIAN SETTLEMENT -- Kennard’s Settlement and Cowpens, a major Creek Indian center of Southwest Georgia, was located three and three-fourths miles west of here, on the east side of Kinchafoonee Creek. The site was named for Jack and William Kennard, two Lower Creek chiefs who were long friendly to white people. This road is a remnant of an early Indian trading path that led from Flint River via Kennard’s Settlement and Fort Gaines, Georgia to Pensacola, Florida. 088-1 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1993" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
31 deg 46' 0.53", 84 deg 11' 19.86"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Creek Indians; Southwest Georgia; Indians of North America; Lee County (Ga.)