The marker reads: "HISTORIC SITES DILL HOUSE ~ John Dill (1788-1856) of S.C., military aide to Gen. Gaines, commander of Fort Gaines, and leading pioneer citizen, is said to have built this, “the finest home on the frontier,” with money his wife had saved while a captive of the Indians. Hoarding and hiding paper money, which her captors discarded after raids, she took it with her when she fled to freedom. The original part of the house, now a hotel, contains elaborate mantles and intricate carving. Gen. Dill established a mercantile business with his partner, John W. Sutlive, in 1821. He added a tannery, one of the finest harness and shoe businesses in the South, a brick kiln and cotton warehouses to his interests. He and his wife are buried in a cemetery on Carroll Street. LIVE OAK TREE ~ This magnificent tree, with a circumference of 16 feet, was brought from Florida and planted by Gen. Gaines. THE GLOBE ~ “Globe Tavern,” first operated by Charles Suddolph, was at the NW corner of Washington and Carroll Streets. The brass globe at its entrance signified the tavern, “the most popular in SW Georgia,” was open and ready to refresh the traveler. When the tavern burned, the globe was moved across the street. 030-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation Dill House National Register of Historic Places #75000582 Fort Gaines National Register of Historic Places #84000970
31 deg 36' 21.71", 85 deg 2' 55.46"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Fort Gaines (Ga.); Clay County (Ga.); Historic markers