The marker reads: "GEN. PATRICK CLEBURNE CAMP, S.C.V. General Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V., the only Camp east of the Mississippi to be named for a General from the west of that river, was organized May 3, 1956, with members from several counties in Southwest Georgia. General Patrick Ronayne Cleburne (Mar. 17, 1828 - Nov. 30, 1864), Irish-born druggist and soldier, resident of Helena, Arkansas, joined the Confederate Army as Captain of the Yell Rifles. Known as “The Stonewall Jackson of the West,” Major General Cleburne was killed in battle at Franklin, Tennessee, soon after the Battle of Atlanta. According to General Robert E. Lee, he was “a meteor shooting from a clouded sky.” Charter members of this Camp include: P. C. King, Jr., Commander, William R. Edwards, Raymond Lash, M. M. Fiveash, J. T. Thornton, W.C. Lash, Credille Rogers of Dawson; Bob Cook of Cusseta; J. W. Ivey, T. E. Shaffer, F. P. Love of Cuthbert; Dr. M. B. Bowman of Albany; William F. Cummings of Brinson; Raymond C. Jackson of Tifton; Willie D. Hammock, Jr., of Coleman; Ernest Breedlove Whitchard of Millen; Senator Walter F. George of Vienna. This Camp was organized by Clyde A. Boynton, Division Commander. 135-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
31 deg 46' 33.38", 84 deg 26' 47.97"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Dawson (Ga.); Terrell County (Ga.); Historic markers; Sons of Confederate Veterans (Organization)