The marker reads: "SITE: FRANKLINVILLE When Lowndes County was created December 23, 1825, Lawrence Folsom, Sion Hall, William Blair, John J. Underwood and Daniel McCauly were appointed Commissioners to select the capital of Lowndes County. The site which they chose, named Franklinville, was designated County Seat in 1828, and was located near the center of the Lowndes County area of 1825. In 1833, the County Seat was moved to Troupville, a small settlement about four miles west of present-day Valdosta. 092-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1961" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
30 deg 58' 58.55", 83 deg 16' 39.37"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Franklinville (Ga.); Lowndes County (Ga.); Historic markers