The marker reads: "REFUGE" Charles James Munnerlyn lived in an elegant residence called “Refuge." This beautiful house boasted an extensive library and an organ. The pipe organ was installed for the pleasure of Munnerlyn’s wife, Harriet Eugenia Shackelford Munnerlyn. The family cemetery is situated near this marker. It is located about 800 feet north of the site of Refuge. The house burned in 1883. The Munnerlyn plantation contained over 3,000 acres and had a landing on the Flint River. It was worked by over 200 slaves. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE DECATUR COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS 1985"
30 deg 47' 23.55", 84 deg 36' 45.85"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Decatur County, GA; Historic markers -- Georgia -- Decatur County; Decatur County (Ga.); Historic buildings -- residence; Dwellings -- residence