The marker reads: "COL. HICKS' HDQRS. Here stood the headquarters of Col. Stephen G. Hicks, commander of the USA occupation forces here during Battle of Paducah March 25, 1864. Next day Col. Hicks ordered sixty private homes that had been used by CSA forces as cover near the fort burned to the ground. Most owners filed suits but were never repaid for their homes. Marker presented by William Clark Market House Museum 1967 KENTUCKY HISTORICAL SOCIETY KENTUCKY DEPARTMENT OF HIGHWAYS 1031" Top of sign: Seal of Kentucky: Commonwealth of Kentucky United We Stand Divided We Fall
37 deg 5' 13.43", 88 deg 35' 46.16"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Historic markers; McCracken County (Ky.); Paducah (Ky.)