The marker reads: "ST. SIMONS ISLAND From March 9 - May 12, 1738, Charles Wesley, secretary to James Oglethorpe, was Anglican cleric to the founders of Fort Frederica. His stern discipline earned disfavor among the colonists and Oglethorpe. John Wesley, religious leaders of the colony of Georgia, visited Charles in April 1736, preaching in the storehouse. Charles returned to England. John ministered to the Fredericans in four trips before leaving "with utter despair of doing good there" on January 26, 1737. After John's return to England, in May 1738 the brothers had "heart warming experiences" and later founded the Methodist movement. GENERAL CONFERENCE, THE METHODIST CHURCH 1960 DEDICATED FEBRUARY 9, 1993" Top of sign: United Methodist Church emblem
31 deg 13' 20.34", 81 deg 23' 11.97"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Wesley, John, 1703-1791; Wesley, Charles, 1701-1788; St. Simons Island (Ga.); Glynn County (Ga.); Historic markers